Monday, May 12, 2014

The LG G Flex. The best smartphone I have ever owned.

Considering the LG G Flex?  It’s the best smartphone I have ever owned.


Often, I’m asked “what kind of phone is that”?  My reply usually involves pointing out the fact that it’s more than just a phone.  It’s my lifeline!  With a quad core processor, 2 gigabytes of RAM, and a 6 inch screen, it’s more powerful than some laptops.  Add a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse, as I have, and there’s nothing that cannot be accomplished. 
I have read articles and reviews that question its worth, and whether the curved screen is a gimmick.  At the time of purchase I was upgrading from a Samsung Galaxy Note 2, and noticed the G Flex was lower in price than the Samsung Galaxy Note 3.  The screen resolution is less than that of the Note 3, and it also has less RAM.  In my opinion, this device is not as nice as the Note 3, but the lower price played a part in my decision.  To be honest, I debated a very long time, between the Note 3 and the G Flex.  I made my decision because of 4 things:  larger battery, less bloatware (pre-installed apps you do not use, but are unable to uninstall), a larger screen, and that the screen was curved.  I enjoy these features daily.  So, in my opinion, this device is worth the money.   

Combine the larger battery with the less labor- intensive screen, and you get a device that can last all day, and then some.  The 6-inch display leads me to rarely pick up my 10-inch tablet.  I used to consider purchasing a 7 or 8 inch tablet, but that's no longer a thought.  The 32 gigabytes of storage are all that is needed due to less than normal bloatware.  I love the curve of the display.  Often, it works to my advantage with handling glare.  On lower brightness levels, the screen does have a ghosting issue.  However, with the long battery life, I can increase the screen brightness to 100%, and still make it through an entire day's usage on one charge.  I can view content as it’s meant to be.  Movies streamed from Netflix, Hulu and my Network Storage look awesome!  The device also curves around my face and fits well in the back pocket.  I have never been a believer in placing my smartphone in my back pocket, but it simply fits with this device.  Initially unsure of button placement, I actually enjoy the volume and power buttons being on the back.  With previous smartphones, often I would involuntarily press volume and power buttons while simply holding it in my hand.

What truly makes this smartphone the best I have ever had?  With my previous smartphones, in order to keep up to date with the latest version of android, I have had to install a custom version of Android (a custom ROM).  This also meant I was able to remove unwanted apps.  These were apps which bloated my system.  The G Flex has many of the features I enjoyed while using a custom ROM on previous devices.  The G Flex has been upgraded to KitKat 4.4.2.  I have even allowed the (bloated) AT&T apps to remain on the device.  Usually I would have rooted and removed these apps as they are simply taking up storage space.  As a matter of fact, I haven’t made any changes, other than ringtones, notifications, and wallpaper for both my lock screen and home screen.  Android is a Linux based operating system.  Linux operating systems are about freedom of choice.  The ability to choose what apps I install, and what widgets, icons and fonts I use, is the main reason I use Android.  LG does a good job of allowing me to choose how I setup my device.  It is not as quick as stock Android, but it is quicker than Samsung TouchWiz and HTCSense. 


Is the LG G Flex the best smartphone I have ever owned?  Yes.  Is the LG G Flex worth the money?  As the price continues to fall, meaning a newer version is likely to be released, I would say yes.  Should a person wait until the new version comes out?  Yes.  The current version is awesome and very capable of being used as your main phone (for those that own more than one device).  Normally, the newer version of the device will have more bells and whistles, and be an improvement on the previous version.  If the only thing new is a heart rate monitor, or a fingerprint unlock feature, then get this version.  By then the price should be right where you want it.

Currently have an LG G Flex, or used one recently?  Leave your thoughts below on your experience.

Posted by Todd from Brainy Toads

No comments:

Post a Comment